Plan of the Old Building

Old Building Plan

The plan for the building is of special significance; it is the first completely regular design in Scotland with four equal ranges of buildings disposed round a central quadrangle, with four square towers at each corner rising a storey higher. Nor had any other building in the country previously been conceived on such a scale. It is clear that William Wallace had carefully studied Linlithgow Palace - an extremely competent piece of late medieval and Renaissance domestic design. As at Linlithgow, the rooms in the Hospital are through-going in the traditional Scottish manner, without connecting corridors. Six separate spiral staircases were incorporated, one in each internal angle of the courtyard and one in each of the two external lateral faces. Only two of those in the courtyard remain, both in the south side, the others having been removed in 1886 when the main staircases were built.